Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Upcoming Idaho Fireside for "The Gays"

I have to admit that I don't have any solid opinions on the upcoming fireside in SE Idaho. I do know Bravone is one of the most geniune guys out there and I'm sure his intentions and those that are helping put this together are sincere.

Last Fall when I went to my first Affirmation Conference I listened to Carolyn Pearson's talks on how we need to start bridging the gap and reaching out to people in the LDS Church in any possible way. This helps bring awareness and if nothing else put a gay human face to the members of the church--rather than the characters they see on Will and Grace, Brothers & Sisters and Modern Family. I have to tell you it makes a huge impression on someone to know that their very own neighbor, or coworker, or so-and-so's son/daughter is gay, people become are more apt to be willing to talk about it and stop making assumptions, many stereotypes are erased and pave the way for understanding. BUT WE HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE--perhaps this is one of the best ways, it may not be perfect, it may not be the ideal for everyone, but it is a start nonetheless: BRAVO for these efforts!!

I am a bit more torn about their Keynote speaker--granted I don't know him from Jack, I have no clue what the intention or the expectations are in doing this but if nothing else I hope he does mention if/or that he made his now wife aware of him being gay and together they made an informed decision on taking steps in getting married and embarking in a MOM. I'd really be curious to read his keynote speech if they allow to be published it or someone will report on it perhaps in the Mohosphere.

1 comment: