Sunday, June 20, 2010

Anxiety? really?

I've just spent one of the best weekends I've had in a while with a few firsts:

Last Friday I met a fellow Moho Blogger for lunch (After the fact edit--I guess it was ok to share!); we spent a good while talking and sharing a little bit about our lives. I wish I had been able to spend much more time, but nonetheless it was a great & positive experience and yes I've yet to have a bad experience meeting fellow Mohos in person.

Later in the evening I had dinner with the babe and he made strawberry margaritas; he made me a list of things to purchase--let's just say that walking into a liquor store is intimidating as hell; I had no idea of all the different kinds of tequila that there are, so just picked one based on the shape of the bottle that I liked---he, he, he, if that's not a sign of being a gay amateur drinker, I don't know what is!!

I have to be honest, I was anxious about the drinking alcohol--my biological father was an alcoholic and I'm sure it was a huge contributor to his death at age 36-- and I'm not even sure where or from whom I heard about this concept but for some reason while growing up I always felt that the minute I tasted a drop of alcohol I'd turn into a raging alcoholic--obviously not true. I also always felt that drinking would make me lose control and the control freak in me would probably make the biggest ass of myself--for which I'd never be able to remember my actions. I obviously didn't drink to oblivion, but just enough to feel a weird but also fun buzz and I'm happy to report that the worst thing I probably did was giggle for dumb things but I never felt lack of control for my thoughts or actions and lucky for me, no hangover the next day!!

On Saturday, I went to my first Gay wedding!! I was lucky to be invited by one of the grooms and I wasn't sure what to expect, so got ready, met the babe again and we headed out to the event. Again, I felt a surge of anxiety because I knew that a lot of their family members are active LDS and I wasn't sure what other things to expect but soon enough my fears were erased. The ceremony was beautiful and touching. They exchanged vows and I have to admit to feeling a tear or two; again, another pleasant "first" and I had nothing to be anxious about.

Today was father's day, I got texts and calls from several friends and family wishing me a Happy Father's day. Even the ex texted me, and I quote: "H F D" (hey that's the most she has talked to me in a couple of weeks!!) I spent the day with the kids grilling food, watching soccer and then we went on a drive for the afternoon--of course no drive is complete without first stopping at the convenience store for drinks and junk food!!! I love spending times like this with them, seems we just let go and enjoy the time we're spending together, no talk about separation, divorce, gayness--nothing just pure joy and happiness that we're able to be together. I hate that I have to drop them off at mom's--it tears my heart a little-- but I make a point to hug them and tell them how much I love them and it is one of the few times that I actually hear-- "love you too dad"...

So as my weekend draws to an end, I have nothing but feelings of gratefulness and feeling loved all around and yet I feel anxiety--I am not even sure why or what I am anxious about and this part bugs me. Why can't I just let it go? Why do I have to focus on the anxiety instead of all the amazing stuff that has happened to me in the last three days? Is it that I fear my bubble will suddenly burst? Is it that I just need to relax and thank God for his benevolence and blessings in some other way? Is there something that I'm missing and it is so obvious I can't even see past the end of my nose? I want to dwell on the good stuff and let go of the anxiety part and yet I'm not sure how, maybe I need to get back to the shrink... Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

7 comments:

  1. I may have read your blog before, but today I really felt what you were writing.

    It is amazing how much we have to grow up again and experience things we should have years ago but were put on hold for things we thought should be.

    Yeah for your new life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ControllerOne was the lucky guy who got to break bread with PL. It was a great experience. My first live, in person meeting with a Moho. And my first in person discussion of what it is to be gay with someone who is gay. I couldn't have picked a better friend. I can now personally attest that PL is awesome; one of the very nicest people I've met.

    As for the anxiety, I think your feelings are very common. I know that when things are going well for me, I become anxious because I'm sure it will all be taken away. I've really been trying to live in and enjoy the moment. There are no guarantees for any of us in this life, so it's no use worrying about it. Easier said than done, right? Just remember: Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof (or something like that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Devin,
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean, good thoughts and welcome to the Moho blogging world!
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Controllerone,
    Thanks for vouching for me! :-) I had a great time meeting you, next time will definitely have to be for much longer. I agree with you that some of that anxiety is in part because I'm affraid I might just wake up and realize it is all a dream but like you say it is just best to enjoy the moment and let the rest go.
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at the wedding too! Probably saw you and didn't even realize it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Romulus,
    Very likely I saw you too, I'm sure there's lot of bloggers I follow that were there and I don't recognize them because I don't know their faces or in person. I had fun, it was a good time!
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe... PL, Romulus, I'm pretty sure you guys have both been at my house at the same time, more than once. :)

    I'll make sure I introduce the two of you next time. :)

    And PL: Congrats on overcoming anxiety and doing things even when they made you a little nervous!

    ReplyDelete