Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another (maybe not so significant) milestone

I had met with the babe for lunch yesterday and I must have had the stupidest grin on my face walking back into the office because one of my dear coworkers (who knew I was going to lunch and with whom) asked in front of my boss how was lunch? I said "it was great!!!!"

So my boss came over "to chat" and ask me about my life. Now we're not chummy friends or anything--well maybe we are now--but we're about the same age and have worked together for many years off and on as boss/subordinate functions. Anyway she said there's something going on with you and you just seem so happy, which is kind of unusual for someone just coming out from a divorce.

So I told her: "boss, I'm gay"

She said: "I know"

puzzled look on my face...

She said: "I've heard grapevine rumors, just didn't know if you felt comfortable telling me in person or not, but I wasn't going to push it, because it is a non-issue for me and you know that, besides I think you know we're past being just professional acquaintances when I told you I had a boob job a few weeks ago" ---she did, we happened to be at another co-worker's wedding and she just blurted it out!! :-)

I Said: "Thanks, I appreciate that, in my mind I knew I had to talk to you about it, I wasn't sure if as friends or as a subordinate--the latter one made me more nervous than anything, but I just wanted to find the right time. Thanks for understanding."

So we had a very good conversation about me, divorce, and my life and even the boyfriend--which is the reason she says I just glow of happiness. She assured me that as a manager she looks at my professional performance and has no worries but as a friend wants to make sure I'm happy. I knew our conversation when it happened would be just like that, but just felt that as soon as I told a manager it would not necessarily feel like something of mine and I'd be officially out at work; I didn't tell her to keep it under wraps or quiet--obviously others have been doing the job already--but again, in retrospect I am glad I had nothing to worry about and over and over my experiences coming out have been nothing but positive so far---who knows how I'll react when I get a not-so supportive one--but oh well, such is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment