Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cooking for 1 sucks!

I've made an effort to cook at home. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat out as much as the next person, but I need to save money to pay off debts and I also need to keep an eye on my diabetes. The best way I have been able to control it is by not eating out and exercise, but that means I have to think of ways to cook for 1.

I actually like cooking. I'm not a gourmet cook or anything, but I can make good dishes. The problem is that I'm used to cooking for at least 4 people and nowadays cooking for 4 would actually cost me more than eating out and I'd have leftovers that would never get eaten, even by the dog! I've experimented having things like rice, pasta, vegetables and grilled chicken. Some are already frozen and some I keep in containers ready to be heated in the microwave oven. My version of soup and sandwich (Top Ramen + a ham sandwich!) is not too bad- especially when I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking and hey, no one can have enough frozen burritos and hot pockets handy and ready to eat!--yeah I know it isn't the best/healthier, but it still beats takeout! I've taken the stance that if it isn't in a box/can or frozen, I probably don't have much use for it, but I do like fresh fruits/vegetables whenever I can get my hands on them--hint to those who garden and get sick of zuccinni: I'll be happy to take whatever you want off your hands!

Sometimes my sister in law (ex-sister in law?) takes pity on me and sends food with the kids when they come to visit--that's nice, she is a great cook and just this week I've sent a full bag of empty containers--clean of course--back to her. I don't know, maybe I should just give her money to cook something everyday and forget about fuzzing with it all myself. One of my friends said he just cooks a bunch of potatoes and tops them with something different every day. I don't mind that, but potatoes everyday?!?!

Maybe I should start a co-op or something where every person who hates cooking for 1 takes turns making more and everyone stops by to get a portion or better yet--to sit and eat with another human being!! Maybe we should start a Moho cooking book with basic, quick and easy recipes that can be shared especially with those that don't live in close proximity, kind of a Moho version of "What's For Dinner". I don't know if anyone out there has any ideas to share?

3 comments:

  1. I hate cooking for one, also. I usually make a casserole or something Monday, and eat if for dinner for the rest of the week... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only barely found this by googling "freezer friendly meals", but here's a bunch of recipes (most of them sound pretty good) that you prepare mostly ahead, and then freeze, and then throw together in a few minutes when you're ready to eat.

    This type of meal could easily be frozen in single-serving sizes. Spend an afternoon making 6-8 different dishes, divide each one into 4-5 portions and freeze them, and you've got a whole month's worth of dinners ready to go.

    Should be fairly inexpensive, and pretty healthy too, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezra! I don't want to end up doing that. I get bored of the same thing over and over, there has to be something better out there.
    big Ezra hug to you,pl

    Hi Scott!
    I like this website, I'm going to try out a couple of things, maybe by adding some of this variety I can make it more fun. Should I overnight some of these food to you Ezra? LOL
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete