Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What is it about Kurt from Glee?

Did you hear that Glee got nominated for Best Comedy for some award show?

I told the kids I didn't think it was a comedy, but the reason I fail to see is as comedy is because I'm mesmerized by Kurt and how his character is developing. The writers have managed to move him beyond being the fashionable gay token singer with a huge set of pipes of the Glee club into a fully breathing, fearing, hurting, loving, hating, smiling and feeling human being. 

Last night's show was hard to watch, I usually cry a lot when they show things about Kurt. Dealing with his dad and having acceptance, what gay guy wouldn't want Kurt's dad? When Kurt develops a crush on Finn (who of us has not had a young crush?), or manages to play Football and score a goal while being taunted and picked on by the jocks and finally last night's shock of what happened when he stands up to the bully (I won't give it away in case you haven't seen it, but by now you may have already heard anyway!).

I was talking to the babe about the Kurt factor on Glee and he said: We all relate to Kurt in the sense that his life is everyone of us--as in wish I had been confident enough to be out and be myself at that age but also in the sense that "damn, I'm glad I never got picked on as much and as badly as Kurt does". I suppose there's a lot of truth in that. Not that I was artistic or a flamboyant dresser in high school but I remember giving 'the vibe' to a couple of guys who threatened to kick my ass and that put the fear of God in me almost like nothing else. Now I wonder if those guys who threatened me had their own gay fears of acceptance! 

I hope that Kurt becomes boyfriends with the new kid (Blaine?) and they show it in a healthy, fun way so that people (especially all the young ones) can see that gay relationships can also be healthy and not just about the hook-ups and sex and disfunction but who knows, what'll happen, it is FOX after all! I have to confess that although I have learned to love this show because of Kurt, the music, the other kids' experiences, but let's face it, a lot of what attracts me to watch is because I also want to see what is Sue Sylvester up to!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment