Saturday, November 6, 2010

The things you would have said...

I heard this website being mentioned on the radio the other day and have been reading it off an on.

The letters are mainly written to people who've passed away from those who didn't take the chance to do it at a given time--to me saying "the right time" seems pointless--, there's lots of things in life that the right time never gets here.

So I've sat here thinking of some things that I would have said and to whom?

1. I would have told my X I was gay before we got married. I realize that she wouldn't have married me but the pain of seeing what I've put her through with that one fatal mistake is pretty unbearable sometimes.
2. I would have told myself long ago that it was OK to be me and be happy being a homo and come out much, much earlier than I did; screw what my mother, the church an the supposed society expected of me. I spent many years pleasing everyone in spite of my own happiness. I would also have told myself it was OK to be vulnerable, that I didn't have to be Superman 24/7 and put on a show for everyone; it is exhausting!!! :-)
3. I would have told my daughter many years ago that gay people are alright, worth of respect and love like I did with my son. I realize that she has had to forge her own ideas and mind but I think I dropped the ball working on her (was I protecting her, or me?) and now it is 10 times harder to have her come around.


I'm sure there are a lot other things I would/should have said, but I've also learned that it isn't healthy to dwell in there. The lesson here is to say what you need to say when you need to say it. I've called myself a slow learner before, but I work hard every day having a few regrets as I possibly can...

If this is too personal I understand, but Is there anything that you would have said?

No comments:

Post a Comment