Monday, November 1, 2010

I love musicals...

Really?

A gay guy that likes musicals?

Unheard of!

Growing up I didn't get much exposure to musicals, unless you count Grease maybe! I blame my mission president and his musically inclined family who made us watch movies while I was the financial clerk in the mission home. Maybe I had heard a song here and there, but I don't recall ever seeing the likes of The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof and Singing in the Rain until that point;

AND I LOVED THEM!!

There's just something exhilarating about breaking out in song about something that happens in life whether it is good or bad and yeah I've been moved by many of the songs to tears here and there! Maybe this is one of the reasons why I love Disney movies, they come chuck full of songs, I mean what's better than singing "Chim, Chimney and Supercalifragilisticexpialidotious"!!! When I came home I wanted to buy the videos--yeah I'm that old--, but that never really happened, but when I had kids I had the best excuse to get them, so I did and I made an effort to play them at least a time or two a year--yeah I have to replace my collection because sadly I lost my movies in the divorce, but every now and then I hear the kids say that they were watching one of them and makes me happy they like them enough to keep up the tradition.

I was mentioning some of this to the babe and he happens to have one of the biggest collections of musicals (he has been out most of his adult life)--so he gets to make fun of my amateur addiction--or is it aversion?--to musicals. Still thanks to him I've learned to appreciate other musicals like Gigi and Thoroughly Modern Millie. I've only recently seen Showgirls (after he almost took my gay card away!) and the quest continues.

My only issue with musicals is that I'd love to be able to sing, but I can't carry a tune to save my life, still I hear that there are a few sing along events centered around some of those movies and I think they'd be a riot to attend. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but do you like musicals? if you do, what are some of your recommendations? :-)

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it is less stereotypical of lesbians... but I love a good musical. I love Fiddler on the Roof! I also watched Camelot multiple times growing up. Momma Mia!!!

    These days I like the more unique musicals the best. I recently saw "Rocky Horror Pictureshow" for the first time and watch one on Netflicks called "Repo: A Rock Opera". I liked both of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh PL. You and I are the same people, except you have a burning hunk of love and are just plain a hunk.

    Here's my contribution: Annie, The Music Man, Hello Dolly (please, how can you be gay and not like Hello Dolly).

    Here's a rare one: 1776. Seriously great musical. I mean, who can resist John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson singing their way to a Declaration of Independence. You will definitely recognize many of the actors. Hint: Think Holling from Northern Exposure.

    Have I told you lately you are awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you need is a trip to New York or at least make sure you are aware of your local city's Broadway on the road offerings.

    I love them all too but they are even better on stage.

    Like you, I wish I could sing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kiley:
    Now that you mention Mamma Mia, I've seen it, and Mulin Rouge, but Fiddler has that special place, I'll have to check out the others soon!

    @Controller:
    Awwwwww, you're so nice to me...keep it going; don't stop my friend! he, he, he! Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine a musical about 1776. I'm going to have to restart my Netflix and maybe start going through all this cool stuff!

    @Dadmprimalscream:
    Hey, thanks for the note. One of the things on my bucket list is to take a Musical Theatre trip to NYC someday. I've been there before but we just couldn't fit it into the crazy schedule. Thanks for the note and welcome to the mohosphere! :-)

    Hugs,Miguel

    ReplyDelete