Monday, May 25, 2009

Updates and Milestones...

Well, not all of it has been bad. Way too much stuff going on and yet it seems like time is moving at the slowest pace ever...I suppose there has to be a reason.

I talked to my brother on the phone yesterday. He is in Seattle and was planning to come down for the weekend but his plans fell through. He is my only brother (I have 7 sisters) so I knew he would be one of the first people I would come out to officially. He was very surprised, but he offered his unconditional love for me over and over. He asked me questions to help him understand my journey and is sad about the separation, but overall his support and love are more than I can probably expect at this time and I'm grateful for his positive response.

My son found a classmate whose father is also gay and the family has gone through all of this. The classmate also told him that it will be ok, eventually things will feel normal, whatever normal is. My son just about made my day the other day as I was driving him: He said he was doing alright, but understandably is having some difficulties because he doesn't see me as "the average dad"; I asked him if that was a good thing or bad? He said it was a very good thing!!!

My wife talked to her best friend and told her what is going on and the reasons. I feel that now that she has had a chance to vent with someone she is able to process things a little better. I told her I was very close to calling her friend myself, explaining everything at the risk of having the friend kick my ass or send someone to do it, but that her friend really needed her...I bought the book "The other side of the closet" for my wife at the request of my therapist and at least for now she is pretty disgusted with the stories on the book, seems that's all she wants to focus on, maybe later she'll realize the real point of the book.....sigh

Two steps forward and four steps back...

3 comments:

  1. I don't see the "two steps forward / four steps back" lack of progress. I see a brother who loves you unconditionally. I see a son who is loving his dad and seeing him differently as a "good thing". I see a spouse who is struggling to understand and find ways to cope that is very difficult for her, but is still trying... Aren't those all steps forward in a certain sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beck,

    Yes you are right, the comment about the steps back just reflect how I was feeling this morning, I need to focus on the positives more than everything else.

    Hugs, PL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Beck said. Hang in the buddy.

    ReplyDelete