Monday, May 11, 2009

Crash and burn...

What a weekend it has been....

First off, I spoke to a church leader to get some advice--his advice was sound, but didn't offer much hope. He said that marriages like mine typically don't survive...

Then I went to a therapist recommended by a friend of a friend (love how that happens). She again gave me some statistics, about 50% of marriages dissolve as soon as the gay spouse comes out and the other 35-40% a year or two after, because they really work hard at making a life, but in the end, no success either. She did point out that the remaining 20% or so do make it, but it was the couples that were best friends and of course understood the odds and were committed to each other 100% in all possible ways. She also advised that if we were separating, we could tell the kids the reason why, or not, depending on how we saw their maturity level. I'm going back to meet with her this week, seems I will be able to get a lot out of these meetings.

My wife and I talked until late hours one night wondering if we may possibly be part of the 20%, all the reasons why we thought we might be able to make it in our version of a mixed-orientation marriage, things were looking somewhat up even as of Friday morning...

Then she went to her therapy appointment...

When she returned she was in shreds and things went more or less like this:

Wife: "I want to know if you love me"
Me: "Yes, of course I do"
Wife: "I know you care deeply for me, you'd do almost anything for me and the kids"
Me: "Yes I would"
Wife: "I want to know if you only see me as a friend for hanging out, co-parent, roommate, someone to share bill-payment and care for the children only or if the're is a chance you see me as anything else, a partner, a lover, the love of your life..."
Me: looking down, knot in my throat, tears rolling down my eyes---no words came out.
Wife: "I have friends and relatives I can do all the things I'm talking about, I need a completely dedicated spouse/lover/partner who sees me the way I want, nothing else will do"
Me: "I'm sorry, I just don't think I can offer that, I've honestly tried for all these years do give you what you want, I just don't have the capability do do it"

She said that her therapist advised her to tell the kids as we saw fit understanding that they might react in weird ways or possibly not. She thought that we should tell the kids that afternoon before I was supposed to go out of town with my son. We got the kids, sat them down and I told my 10 and 15 yr olds: "Guys we have somethings to share with you and also bad news to tell you. The first of which is that I am gay". My son sat there stunned. My daughter started to cry and we tried to console her as much as we could. We talked about how it wasn't their fault, nothing they ever did, it didn't mean they were gay either. We were about to share the second 1/2 of the news, but they figured it out before we were there, my daughter sobbed and I saw a tear come out of my son's eye about our separation. Of course we were all crying by now. It was a long and painful conversation, lots of things were said...

But in a jist we told them we loved them so much, we cared for each other still and would do everything possible to make this as painless (yeah, I know) as we could. We told them they'd be able to ask anything, voice their fears and concerns, it wasn't pretty but we also explained that it wasn't fair to them to live in a home where there was so much unhappyness. In the end they seemed to understand that it is for the better. I told my son if he did not want to come on the trip w/me he didn't have to, but he said: "Oh no, I'm still going, when do we go?" My daughter's only request was that we please do not give her any step-parents, she has friends who have to deal with this and she said it is hell...we told her no step-parents to deal with...

They asked who is taking the dog? : ) I told them I'll probably end up taking it, because that's almost the only sure way I'll exercise, but the dog can also come and go as everyone sees fit. It was nice to end with some laughter in between the tears. My son and I took off for the weekend, I checked on my daughter by phone a few times in the evening and on Saturday...

Now the real dirty work starts....

10 comments:

  1. As one who has made it past a year since telling my wife I'm gay (does that make me part of the 20%?)

    I think the real questions you and your wife need to ask yourselves is if you are better off with each other or without each other; and, are your children better off with you together or separate?

    True, you do not have a fairy tale relationship - but truthfully, how many marriages in and out of the church are that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old are your children? They are going to need some support now, too. Would your wife be open to letting them meet our children and family? Is there anything I can do?
    Please let us know how we can help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abe,

    I guess I had been selfish thinking that we could somehow make it, failing to recognize that she also needed to see what she was comfortable living/dealing with from the married/spouse perspective and I suppose that was the deal breaker and I knew it might possibly be a factor in the process. The only thing we'll see is how we all learn to live with the outcome. I'm sure we will all be OK in the end, in spite of all the pain and sorrow. Thanks for your words.

    Hugs, PL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    15 (boy) and 10 (girl). Since everything is still so raw and we're somewhat in shock I might want to wait a bit on asking for much. The children have been exeptionally understanding, all things considered, but I'm sure we will be able to make the much needed connections in time. I've contacted the counselors at their schools to make sure they have some kind of support if needed there too. Thanks for the offer though, I will likely take you guys up on that.

    Hugs, PL

    ReplyDelete
  5. PL, My heart breaks for all of you. Not knowing the details of your situation, what I say may or may not work. If you and your wife get along as well as you have said, it would seem to me that the best scenario for the kids would be for you to stay together, even if it means sacrificing some personal happiness. I think they come first.

    When they are grown, you could both then find other partners if you desired. If your wife is looking for a partner/lover, how can you say no step parents will be involved?

    If, on the other hand, your house is one of contention and a miserable place for the kids, maybe divorce is the answer.

    Believe me, I have wrestled with the idea of personal happiness verses personal responsibility and family happiness. Luckily, my wife and I get along really well, which helps.

    Whatever the outcome, I wish you and your family the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for everyone involved.

    I hope your family can make this difficult transition with gentleness and love. It sounds as if you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could offer some advice, but I feel inadequate to do so. So instead I'll just send you a virtual hug.

    *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you wife wants someone to talk to who is in a similar situation or just to read my blog with my feelings, which are probably pretty close to hers so she knows she is not alone, have her read my blog its piecesofme323.blogspot.com

    My husband I separated 6 months ago and have struggled with have we or rather are we, doing the right thing for us, for our kids for our future happiness? We are lucky in the regard that we are still really good friends, but bottom line it is not easy, and its difficult to explain to anyone who has not experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bravone, thanks for your heart-felt words both here and on the phone yesterday.

    Hi MoHoHawaii!
    It is a day by day process, I'm surprised that sometimes hour by hour...but I do believe that it will all work out for the better in the end. Thanks!

    Ezra: Hugs are the best! Thank you!

    Pieces: I will show her your blog, one of her comments (complaints?) is that she feels so lonely like no one else could possibly understand what she is going though and even begin to understand her point of view. I think it will help her tons. Thanks for the offer!

    Hugs, PL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wife: "I have friends and relatives I can do all the things I'm talking about, I need a completely dedicated spouse/lover/partner who sees me the way I want, nothing else will do"
    Me: "I'm sorry, I just don't think I can offer that, I've honestly tried for all these years do give you what you want, I just don't have the capability do do it"

    This piece sort of says it all. I feel terrible for what you are going through right now. My wife and I are essentially going through the period between revelation and final decision. The crucial difference is I'm in a marriage where my wife can't be the person I want in the marriage. I'm hetero enough to enjoy intimacy, crave it, etc. She has deep issues. Sooner or later, I have to answer that question. Life is so complicated.

    ReplyDelete