Saturday, December 11, 2010

Movie Review: Make the Yuletide Gay

One of the local gay couple does a gay movie viewing once a month or so. Last night they showed Make The Yuletide Gay. It is the story of a very openly gay college student who goes home for Christmas but he is not out to his parents. His boyfriend who was supposed to go to his own home for Christmas suddenly has a change in plans and surprises the first guy by showing up unexpectedly and the hilarity ensues.

I liked the movie, the acting is kind of bad, I have to admit that the mom was a bit too over the edge and the euphemisms were all over the place, but overall it was a good show. The main actor says somewhere in there that he worked with a lot of LGBT kids and some very conservative parents were more than accepting of their gay kids while very liberal parents completely rejected their kids--all great points. His main worry is that his parents might cut him completely off from their lives.

How many of us have worried about parents and relatives or those close to us not being accepting? I don't really remember having that angst while I was in my late teens or early 20's because frankly, I hadn't even accepted the possibility that I was gay; but seeing how other friends were being treated even by the simple grapevine rumor that they were gay gave me lots to worry about. We had an informal discussion about the experiences of some of the guys who were attending. Some did talk about the horror stories from parents after attempting to come out at young ages and at other stages in life but some relatives (sometimes in unexpected places) were the most accepting, even within very conservative LDS circles.

I've mentioned in the past that I'm a slow learner and I should have probably learned my lessons in acceptance, self awareness and confidence earlier in life, but one of the advantages I had by waiting to come out much later was that I was very much prepared to deal with the fact that some of my family might not be as accepting and in essence developed somewhat of a thick skin. Needless to say I admire all the young ones who have had enough of that self-awareness and are comfortable enough to come out while young and have all the open possibilities of life. In reality most of my immediate family have been accepting---sure none of them have offered to carry rainbow flags at the next pride parade but have been very supportive and accepting nonetheless. I am also glad that being gay is way more mainstream than it was say even 10-20 years ago. I'm glad that at least the media has contributed in part with shows like Will & Grace, Glee, Brothers & Sisters and my latest favorite show Modern Family.

So if you're looking for a movie to put on your Netflix queue, I recommend it, maybe 2.5 thumbs up, but don't expect too much!! :-)

4 comments:

  1. On gay movie level terms, I thought it was mediocre... which I guess is still better than most of them. :)

    one that I really enjoyed that has a little bit of a Christmas theme to it is Breakfast With Scot (also on Netflix). It's relatively family friendly, too (a couple of vulgar words).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has been popping up on my Netflix and I have wondered about it. Thanks for the review.

    I agree with Evan - I liked Breakfast with Scott. It was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this on Netflix last holiday season. I enjoyed it as a gay holiday flick. For the trekkies, there is a cameo by Gates McFadden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I list it as one of my top 5 favs of gay movies. Yes, I think the mother and father could be re-casted, and the movie would be much better. The two boys were good in their roles. Overall I liked the movie!

    Tell your friend to watch SHELTER, It is my all time favorite gay movie. Shank, is also a good one!

    ReplyDelete