Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Facebook Connondrum of My So Called Life...

I’ve debated posting this note on the infamous Facebook for several months and it I think it is about time it gets published but would like to know if anyone has any wisdom to share. I think it is time for me to stop tippy-toeing around many issues and post about more about the stuff I really want and talk about and so forth. I have the example of a few Mohos that have done this part of me says it isn’t a big deal and part says it is, so that’s where I don’t really know what to do. So I drafted something that goes like this:

I signed up for this social network roughly in November of 2008, not really knowing what to expect and soon enough I was connecting with people back to my days in middle school back in Mexico, high school in Houston, mission, church days, past & present work, old and new friends made all in between all those times and of course, immediate and extended family.

I don’t consider my life to be that extraordinary, but experiences and events in my life have made it what it is & the people who have been in and out of it through the years have definitely shaped to be what it is, for better or worse… So where does that leave little ordinary me? While I don’t expect everyone to know everything about me at all times, and agree/disagree with me, I find that I censor myself here a lot (who doesn’t?). The people that are close to me know enough of what's going on and I like that, but there are times when I am still in fear of offending people's feelings and I suppose in an attempt to make everyone aware of what’s really going on in my life and the people I interact on site together, here it goes:

I used to go to middle school, but I don’t anymore
I used to go to high school, but I graduated many years ago! 
I was a missionary in Mexico for the LDS church a long time ago, but that was then
I was married for 16 years, but I am divorced now
I have two amazing and beautiful children who are very smart, outspoken, and feisty and the light of my life
I have not been an active Mormon for several years
I am a gay man and I am finally comfortable with who I am and who I’ve become. I am dating someone at the moment (he's doesn't do the Facebook thing, BTW) at the same time learning how to mesh and combine all the parts of my life that have got me where I am and where my life leads.

If you’re still reading this far, I need to clarify that just as all the different areas of my life it is just that, things about me; they all are components of my life, not the one thing that makes me as an individual but one of my goals in 2011 is to work hard at  being a better me. I don't expect everyone to agree and sure enough I wouldn't be surprised to lose some of you, that's OK, it is part of life and I accept it.

Is it even worth posting it? Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I like it. And it will help to make you feel more comfortable being yourself with your status updates and message communications - not having to worry "do they know?" or "does he think he's talking to the old me?"

    If it feels right to you, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wisdom here. I haven't done anything like that, but I think it's pretty innocuous. It certainly can't hurt anything. If anyone's offended by it, then well, they're not worth much of your worry.

    If it makes you feel like you are establishing more clarity for yourself I also say go for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do...

    This is when I hate being a Libra, making decisions is not in my nature but who knows, maybe I'll just act and let people decide whatever whether to stay friends or not, we'll see.
    hugs,Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also compartmentalize your friends list into groups and only share things with certain subsets, but decompartmentalizing life is so liberating.

    ReplyDelete