Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Todd Ransom I Never Knew

I started seeing the Facebook postings by fellow Mohos about the suicide of Todd Ransom and my heart sank. I saw the emotions range from sadness to rage. A lot of it being directed to the LDS church. I'm sure there's room for it-- I mostly felt sadness and I didn't know why I felt sad hearing about someone I don't think I ever met--and yet, I wouldn't have felt any less sad if the kid had been straight, or whatever else we like to label ourselves--hearing about a human being committing suicide is never pleasant. 

When I heard about the vigil I knew I wanted to go, I asked the babe if he'd come along--I'm glad he did, I don't think I would have made it in one piece if he hadn't been there. I knew it was going to be heart-wrenching and emotional and it was every bit. I was also glad to see some of the other Mohos and a great community coming together to honor a guy most of us had never met but someone who has obviously touched people beyond his life. I am not aware of his circumstances or his background. The few who spoke at the vigil said nothing but great and loving things about him. No one knows the mind, the emotions and thoughts of another person, so I suppose it is best to remember the good and somehow, try to move on as humanly as we can.

In the end I conclude: "Who am I to judge another, when I walk imperfectly".  Long live the memory of the man who I never met but touched my heart and that of an entire community and may he rest in peace...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I'm glad you were able to attend the vigil. Thanks for sharing your feelings about it and how we can all be touched for the good by people we don't know and in the process learn more about how to work through our own trials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pablo and welcome to the Mohosphere!!
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete