Thursday, January 21, 2010

January Theme: What are your personal goals for 2010? What do you hope to accomplish in the upcoming year?

Again, thanks to Abelard for coming up with these exercises that keep our minds going.

I had posted on FB that I don't like to make new year's resolutions only to forget them by 1/1 at noon. I do realize that things in the last few months of my life have been at times accomplished literally by managing just one more day, just one more hour and while that is not the best way to live, it gives us coping skills. However, I do have definite things I want to accomplish this year, this may be boring for some to read about, nothing juicy or confessions to make (is this the part where most people click to the next blog?) that's OK, we all have our interests! :-)

1. Financial-- I have finally started a budget. I was telling a friend that I decided to plot one on Excel and then became extremely scared to realize that I have no fiscal sense. This is probably going to be big focus this year, learning to literally account for everything I spend, where it goes, how in the world I have managed not to get into deeper trouble. I work a lot--I MEAN A LOT-- and make OK money and it is scary to realize how fast it goes before I'm even able to cash my check! But in hindsight, it is nice to realize that I can set financial goals for future needs using some of the methods I'm implementing...gee, isn't it about time? I'm only 42 years old!!!!

2. Marital--I have been making good progress in the relationship with my ex. Sure we get into little spats here and there but a lot of the anger and issues have subsided--yet I want to figure out a way to get to a comfortable place where we can talk about an amicable divorce--yeah I know, way to improve the relationship, ha, ha, ha!!! But in all honesty this is a critical part in my mind. But I do want to have this done before the summer so I have a lot of work to accomplish and assure her that I'm not going to take advantage of her or the kids, but I'm not necessarily going to give unconditionally. We'll see how that goes.

3. Personal--I have put this goal on hold forever, it just never seems to materialize. I have every intention of trying again, but will not die if it doesn't happen. I have a classical guitar I bought a few years ago. I want to learn to play it, even if it is just a few strums. I'm not a singer (not even in the shower!) but I think of how talented some people are and the ability to play an instrument seems like something I'd like to try at some point.

I think the first and second ones are big enough that I don't want to bring too much more stuff on, so the marching in the Pride parade in a Speedo, taking a pilgrimage to the Castro in San Francisco or going to a Lady Gaga concert are probably going to have to be postponed for later (ha, as if I honestly would do most of those....but the SF part does sound appealing, I need a vacation too!!)

4 comments:

  1. I guess since I am a CPA I have always have been very good at tracking my expenses and live on a good budget. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you about one tool that I use to track it for me, and that is mint.com.

    Check it out, it can pull in all of your financial information for you, track where you spend money, show you ways to save money, etc. I love this site, and it is all very secure and safe. Good luck with the goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hi and thanks D-Train!

    I'll be sure to check it out!
    hugs, pl

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, I am glad to hear you have some personal goals. I could do the financial one myself. And thanks for putting up with me last saturday. It was good to see you busy at work. I wish you luck in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bror!
    Yeah it was good to see you, in the midst of all the craziness, even if it was just a few minutes.
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete