Monday, January 11, 2010

Coming Out At Work

Don't worry, I didn't send a universal email announcing it to everyone :-)

I had written before about talking two of the 'family' that I had been affraid to come out in the past. I had talked to one of them after running into him at the gay bar, his response was very positive and supportive, nothing unexpected. The other one is a peer (we do the same job) and he had been transferred out to another office, but was working in the same building last week. I asked him for some 1 on 1 time and then went on to explain what is going on. I had possibly suspected that one of the people that I had already told may have talked to him, but to my surprise none of them had (which is great to count on people like that, rather than worry about grapevine rumors--even if they are true--being spread all around).

So after I came out to this peer he told me that he had suspected it in the past, but since I was married and had children and all, didn't honestly give it too much thought. He went on to tell me that he was there to support, help and do whatever he could to make things easier for me, that my personal business were not that of the entire office/organization and that he would maintain the same level of respect. Not bad, not bad at all.

So turns out that the ones I was affraid to talk to: I had nothing to fear...

The workers in my team did tell me about one of their suspicions, though: They see me texting someone and smiling at times and they all think I have a girfriend they think I'm dating; I told them I'm pleading the 5th on that one...if they only knew!!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Glad it went so well for you PL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming out at work is my final frontier. I think it will have to wait a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bravone & BB. I honestly don't think I need to do much more coming out at work (maybe my boss), but then again, this really doesn't impact much as far as work is related and it would be a non-issue to my manager, now my workers, that's a whole other issue, but I figure if don't make it a big deal then neither will they.
    hugs to you guys,pl

    ReplyDelete