Sunday, November 1, 2009

The most wonderful time of the year!

Well Halloween has fast become my favorite holiday!!!

Is it because of the costumes that allow everyone to be something they're may not be and yet in a weird way let that other being out, even if it is for just a couple of hours?

I have my kids to thank for liking Halloween. I never used to like it, but they got me started on dressing up and enjoying the festivities. This year's celebration started on Thursday, we dressed up at work and had a pretty good time and got to wear my Cat in the Hat Costume. Then on Friday my daughter and I had a Halloween party, mainly for her cousins--nothing too elaborate--but we had a pretty good time (again, same costume). Then yesterday I got to wear my outfit yet again at my part time job--anything to get out of wearing their uniform!! LOL--

We had a couple of possible options for the evening but since my 15-year old son's social life intervened we dropped him off at his friend's house, then my daughter and I hung out at Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, did a little shopping, then drove around a few neighborhoods to watch decorations, all along while talking about everything. I'm amazed a the knowledge and insights of my almost 11-year old daughter. I'm kind of sad she was forced to grow up so fast, but in my mind, she would have probably still be as mature and insightful no matter what (well, I'm biased, what can I say? LOL). Finally we gathered the son and I dropped them off at their moms.

Then the real Halloween fun started!!!

I had read that Alan from Scrum Central and Ezra were going to be at Scott and Sarah's party so I made a dash for their place to greet them (Don't worry I didn't lift Alan's kilt--even though I wanted to, LOL), but when I saw Ezra I told him I was there for his hugs, which he proceeded to give me quite a few of them while we chatted and of course I was in cloud-9!!! I got to see/greet others--The Geisha, Gumby, The Fairy, Robin Hood, Robin, the Devil and the Angel, the hottie Doctor and others; all great fun!!! I always enjoy meeting the Mohos even if it is for just a little bit!

My good friend had told me to call him when I got done running around so I did and he told me to meet him downtown, he was going to take me somewhere fun. I drove down and we ended up at a gay bar--my first time ever!!! If there was a perfect day for me to do this Halloween night was it! I was very anxious walking in, of course I got stared at in ways I'm not used to but that was probably the worst of it. We danced, hung out, people watched, danced, I stared back, and danced... all in good fun, not a drop of alcohol (not by me anyway!). Yeah there were weird ones--but hey it was Halloween--but the experience was awesome. I expected the bar to be littered with handsome and snotty 20-year old twinks in glitter (well a couple of them) but for the most part that wasn't the case at all. For this being my first time in a gay bar it was great!!

I must say that as fun as all of that was, the highlight of the night was running into one of the guys from work that I had talked previously about not being able to come out to---well running into me there took care of that!!! LOL, he kept coming around and hugging me and giving me this big grin, I think he wasn't exactly surprised, but I could see a little bit of the shock in his face.

So although I was a big fan of Halloween already, last night without a doubt bumped the holiday to the top of the list! How was your Halloween?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, perhaps I should have been at the gay bar rather than working late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sean,
    If you had to work that's fine, as much as it might suck, no other choice, but hey, anytime you want to go to the gay bar, just let me know, since I'm such an expert in these things now, LOL!!
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete