Sunday, September 20, 2009

My big fat Mormon weekend...

I was lucky enough to attend this weekend's Affirmation Conference. I really wasn't sure what to expect but was looking forward to meeting an online friend that I had known for many years.

I have to admit that a couple of the classes felt a little too much like being back in Elder's quorum and yet it was amazing to see guys openly hugging and cuddling with their partners. There were other workshops that were very eye-opening and very life and hope-affirming. Not having actively attended LDS services for a while it was interesting to hear the old lingo, references to scriptures and culture in a gay context, but I was very much touched by stories and experiences of people who have been where I have, where I am currently and gave me a glimpse of how things could be in the future for me. I was impressed how easy it was to learn, laugh, cry and not have to feel self-conscious about it and see how talented many of the folks who participated in the conference. I was very impressed by the parents of many of the GLBT community who attended conference to support their children, or to present their points of view, the challenges they faced and the progress they have made with their families and communities. Big thumbs up for these folks!!!

I was especially touched by the Devotional today. Sitting in a room full of men (yeah there were ladies there too) singing with strong voices brought me down to tears as I remembered my old missionary days and sing along to emotional songs like "All Creatures of our God and King" and "Lord, I will Follow Thee"---which oddly enough are some of my favorite religious songs; watching again, partners putting arms around each other's waists, wiping each other tears off their eyes and just a feeling of pure love and good spirit, no one can tell me the attendees couldn't only have access to The Spirit, but share it in a way that I had not seen anywhere else in spite of their life situations.

--Damn Mormons and their way to put tear-jerking services like no one else!! ;-)

So it was a positive experience, making me realize that my Mormon past is a huge part of me, a big part of where I come from and what has helped me shape my life. I see this weekend as a way to tie all of that heritage together and heck, why not, celebrate it!! I kept looking around the room and thinking of many of the GLBT population who have chosen to leave the church (or who have got excommunicated) and can only think of the huge loss for the church and how much it would actually gain if only they considered the possibilities of working together (better decorated Temples and churches come to mind! LOL).

So that was my big-fat Mormon weekend. I had fun, met a lot of nice people from all walks of life, I laughed, I cried, I went home...would I consider attending again? I'll have to see where I am next year, but it never hurts to visit San Francisco and all the goodies it has to offer!

4 comments:

  1. what a positive post; i've had such a run of negative days, that it's nice to be reminded of the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Santorio!
    I went to the conference with an open mind and I'm glad it was a good experience. I highly recommend it to anyone.
    Hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I see this weekend as a way to tie all of that heritage together and heck, why not, celebrate it!!"

    I see this as key for those in your situation. The saddest thing for me is seeing people who have left the church, leave it ALL behind, when there is really so much good that has shaped us all into the people we are.

    I loved meeting you and only wish we had had more of a chance to chat.

    Hugs!
    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alanna!

    Thanks for your words, I've been thinking a lot about the whole 'leaving it all behind' and maybe in a twisted way Affirmation conference was a way to remind me of those good things, connecting with my people and realize that there's still so much Mormon in me than I even realize. Thanks for the note, it was nice to meet you as well!!
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete