Sunday, February 28, 2010

February theme: Crushes


As I have explained before, while growing up I was way too afraid to crush on someone--male or female for that matter! I think part of me was fearful to let any kind of romantic feelings to grow towards guys because well, it was wrong (as I had learned; thanks SW Kimball!!) and towards girls because well the feeling just wasn't there! Still I remember growing up as silly as this sounds, having the biggest crush on TV guys, the biggest one being on Greg Brady... (yeah I'm old, ha!)

Once when I was living in Provo briefly I got an assignment to home visit a guy who I was told was thinking of having his name removed from the church records. I wasn't sure what that was all about so I went with my companion, he welcomed us into his apartment and I we talked for a good while. All this time I kept thinking: "I know this guy, but where from?". His arguments for wanting to have his name removed were that he was as my companion politely put it: "Same-sex struggles". I honestly don't remember what we discussed, or at least details of what was said--I do remember wanting to go back to his house afterwards to talk to him, tell him that I too had the same issues but I was too chicken to even think about coming out then. It wasn't until later on in the week when I turned the TV on to watch Center Street (an old LDS show that was produced at BYU) that I saw the guy whose living room I sat in and it dawned on me who the cutie was!

Oh the life!

3 comments:

  1. It's funny you say that PL. I was a big Brady Bunch and Partridge Family fan. I had never thought about it before I read your post but it dawns on me now that I was WAY more interested in Greg and Peter than Marcia and Jan. Now that I think about it, I was real interested in the happenings of Albert from Little House on the Prarie and the Walton boys too. Glad you are around - nice to have some one my age to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Controller and Beck!
    I'm glad to be in good company! :-)

    Now for the life of me I don't know what the first comment says, I hope that person also was a fan of the oldie-moldie shows and I guess I'll send them a big hug along with you guys!
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete