Saturday, August 7, 2010

The son and Prop 8, the Documentary.

Last Sunday my kid out of nowhere asked me to take him to a screening of Prop 8. Since he had met the babe briefly two weekends ago I had not wanted to touch much on gay issues with him (or say push my luck?). Anyway when he asked me to take him to the screening at a community coffee house I jumped right at the chance.

Watching the movie this time was probably harder than when I saw it at the theatre, it was a much smaller audience, a casual setting and of course my kid & his cousin were watching it right by my side. I knew I was going to feel the anger @ the LDS church, but I was a bit taken because I think I also felt a huge sense of sadness that an organization that is so much about "What Would Jesus Do" go to such extremes to push an agenda. Anyway that's really beside the point but there were several sad pieces where I had to hold the tears and keep it together.

My 16yr old is not the typical "care only about me". He loves to go on protests and marches for the issues that are close to his heart and mind. He is a very passionate kid and I recently posted a link on FB about a rally he participated at the state capitol and he was in a couple of pictures in the article holding protest signs. When he saw me trying to fight the tears at the documentary he put his arm around me and then I lost it. This is one of the most caring kids I know. Immediately after watching the documentary he was mighty pissed and wanted to know where Senator Buttars lived, LOL... I told him not to worry, the man has plenty of haters already... I read his FB postings for the next couple of days and he has now become a huge supporter of gay rights, he has come a long ways but I'm not surprised, that's just how he is.

He happened to be in my office when news broke about Prop. 8 being overturned. He saw my Facebook feed and how a lot of my Moho friends were posting left and right and he was excited as he could be. He has become a huge support of human rights, regardless of the situation. I don't think he even talks to his mom or his sister about it, I think he feels that he might hurt their feelings or make them feel that he is turning his back on them, which is not the case at all, he is just a young man who cares about a lot of things. I casually asked him what he thought about his sister's acceptance and he said: "She is still way young, give her a few years and she'll be in the same place as us".

Sometimes I wonder what happened to the little kid overnight turned in to such a mature adult. Don't get me wrong, I like it!

3 comments:

  1. That is really wonderful. I don't even know your son, but I am proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for sharing such and amazing experience. I don't think we give enough credit to children and their ability to listen, learn, and make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really awesome Miguel. I have always been impressed by your son from the way you have described him in past. But this is fantastic. What a thoughtful young man - I was about to say boy but that really doesn't fit. You did a good job raising him Dad! And kuddos to his cousin, too, for going with you to see the movie. I'm sure your daughter will come around.

    ReplyDelete