Thursday, October 1, 2009

Carolyn & Emily Pearson

I have been meaning to write about being able to meet and listen to these two extraordinary ladies at the past Affirmation Conference (almost two weeks ago)--and frankly, I want my masturbation post to fall off links! LOL)

I had attended a fireside by Carolyn many years ago in Houston, where her tone and way to communicate her message was interesting, nothing like I had ever heard from anyone at church, it was refreshing to hear someone talk with so much candor and be so much fun. Later on I read about her life-story and the book Good Bye-I Love You, then I learned about her daughter's story indirectly through her ex-husband's play Confessions of a Mormon Boy. I have never seen it, but would like to someday--but always wondered much about Emily's side of the story.

I attended Emily's class and she spoke mainly about her latest journey, she has left the LDS church, spent time being angry at the everything (I can relate to that), but somewhere her experiences became spiritual in many ways. I was very impressed about how she has come along and recovered from human devastation. Then, I got to hear Carolyn's keynote at Affirmation and I didn't come out disappointed. You can tell this lady has volumes of experiences to tell and things about her own life that most of us probably never begin to understand.

I was able to purchase two of Carolyn's books and got her to sign them. I devoured Good Bye I Love You in three days, but honestly the many of the chapters were hard to read, not because of the style or language, but because I kept wiping tears off my eyes repeatedly. I'm taking it a little easier on the other one No More Goodbyes, I get the things she talks about. Anyway I just wanted to pay tribute to these two extraordinary persons who touched my life many years ago and again, sitting and listening to them in person was just a great a treat!

2 comments:

  1. "goodbye i love you" was the second gay mormon writing i had encountered, soon after being published (the first was "peculiar people"). it has remained a reference point and continues to ring true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Santorio,
    I should have bought that book a long time ago, I am considering giving it to my ex to read, I don't know... it is life-changing
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete